In just over a week Tyndale will be hosting its ninth annual Wesley Studies Symposium, featuring Dr. Ben Witherington III as the keynote speaker. It’s a great privilege to have a scholar of Witherington’s caliber and profile at Tyndale. He is a prolific author and one of those rare examples of a top-rate scholar who can also speak to a broader audience in an engaging way. You can read more about Witherington here.
Given his combination of gifts, we’ve decided to run our academic symposium back-to-back with a ministry conference, aimed at church leaders. We’ve had two previous Wesley ministry conferences at Tyndale, with Timothy Tennent in 2010, and Leonard Sweet in 2013.
For the ministry conference on April 24, Witherington has chosen to address the topic of “A Singular Scripture in a Pluralistic Culture.” He’ll be addressing the nature of scriptural authority and illustrating his arguments with reference to important issues facing the church today.
For the Wesley Studies Symposium, Witherington’s keynote topic is “The Ethics of Jesus Revisited.” We also have an excellent lineup of six other presenters for the symposium.
- Aimee Patterson, “A New Final Enemy: Reflections on Dying, Suffering and Autonomy”
- Dan Cooper, “Breakdown in Babylon: an exploration of Psalm 137 through the lens of metal culture”
- Grant Gordon, “John Newton Encounters John Wesley: The Untold Story”
- David Graham, “The Chalcedonian Logic of Wesley’s Christology”
- Gerhard Mielke, “What motivated Wesleyan Holiness Women of the 19th and early 20th century to preach?”
- Aaron Perry, “Ethics, Theology, and Leadership: A Review of the Current State of Ethical Leadership and Why Theology can Make a Contribution”
We are topping all of this off with a worship event on Sunday evening, April 23, featuring Swee Hong Lim, noted expert in global contemporary worship. Supported by local musicians, we’ll be singing the hymns of Charles Wesley to tunes both old and new.
To register or find more information about any of these events, go to ministryconference.ca